Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Pinspired Recipe: Creamy Crockpot Mexican Soup

Original Pin: Super easy super yummy crock pot soup: can of rotel, can of corn, can of black beans (drained & rinsed), 2 frozen chicken breasts, 8 oz cream cheese, 1 packet dry ranch dressing, 1 tablespoon cumin, 1 teaspoon onion powder, 1 teaspoon chili powder. Put all ingredients in crock pot and cook 6-8 hours. Shred chicken, and enjoy!

We tried this soup on Sunday and it was really good, and really easy--two things that require a dinner repeat in our house. I threw this in the crockpot mid-morning and went about the day getting stuff done, grocery shopping, cleaning, preparing for the week--you get the picture. I usually use the crockpot during the week for a quick weeknight meal, but I sometimes forget that crockpot cooking is great even for the weekend.

I was a little frightened about this recipe at first because it used cream cheese, and cream cheese to me just screams "you're going to get fat". So, I just substituted the regular cream cheese for fat free cream cheese and although I'm sure it's still not great for you, it made me feel better.

I was also a little skeptical of this recipe while it was cooking because it started to smell like a mexican weight watchers dish that I made a LOOONG time ago in college, that turned out TERRIBLE. Don't get me wrong, it smelled good, and so did the weight watchers dish--actually it smelled heavenly while it was cooking--so I just hoped all day long that we wouldn't have a repeat of my previous cooking disaster.

All in all, the dish was great. My husband loved it and I thought it was pretty decent since it literally took me about 5 minutes to throw together. We both went back for seconds too, if that tells you anything. :) It was pretty spicy though so we didn't let our 9 month old try it. I think if I was making this for kids I would cut the cumin in half.

We ate it up so fast that I didn't get a picture, but I'll remember to snap one next time we make it.

Here's the slightly modified version of the recipe as I made it:
1 can of rotel
1 can of corn (drained)
1 can of black beans (drained & rinsed)
4 frozen chicken breasts (they were small breasts)
8 oz fat free cream cheese
1 packet dry ranch dressing
1 tablespoon cumin
1 cup chopped onion (I used frozen onion for convenience)
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 cup water (could have maybe used a little more to make it more soupy)

Put all ingredients in crock pot and cook 6-8 hours. Shred chicken, and enjoy!

Have you tried this yet? What crockpot recipe pins do you want to try soon?

Happy Pinning!
-Annie

No comments:

Post a Comment